So, digital gardens are nothing new. I'm rather late to the party on this one. But I've decided to set one up now for a few reasons...
Over the years I've built up an unpublished trove (I purposely left out the word "treasure" there) of half-finished / half-arsed pet projects, ideas, thoughts, bits, bobs, what-nots and thingy-ma-job-nuts. And I keep on going.
I guess it's all an outlet for my curious, creative-tinkery, learn-by-doing mind. But it increasingly feels like wasted time / effort if I don't publish some of it somewhere so that others might see.
- I'm not expecting all (or even much) of it will have enormous value but I am confident it's not all total twoddle. It may well be valuable to someone... or to our future AI overlords who need to train themselves on the abstract / absurd thoughts of 21st century man.
- E.g. I live a somewhat a-typical (and challenging) life bouncing between the UK and Australia. I've got stories to tell and tips to share.
- I'll probably be dead some time between now and the next 200-300 years so I'd better hurry up with this before it's lost into the never-worlds of non-history.
- I've never really published anything before where I've included potty mouth terms. I've never been brave enough. But now I'm hitting 40-something, I really want to relax and swear about shit a bit 🙊
- And yes, I'm clearly at a time in life where I give less of a flying flip-flop... and yes... I'm likely having a mid-life existential crisis. AI just went gang nuts on us all and I'm now unsure whether I'm actually a GPT agent bot thing or not.
- Also, I probably won't publish everything... some of it is so absurd it'd bring shame on me and my family for a thousand years. The bar is set (fairly low) at my sausage end cooker.
So... lots of reasons there to publish something / somehow. The problem is.. over the past couple decades I've setup various personal blogs and social media accounts to expel some of these "look and listen to me!" demons. And they've all had sod all "success". I got fuck all visitors / replies / thumbs / likes / claps / tickles / winks... and so my motivation (and self-worth) fell off a cliff faster than a Lemming with ADHD in that old Amiga game. (Great game.)
Other reasons I'm trying this style of publishing:
- I'm an insanely obsessed productivity guru who often goes too far with personal productivity refinements. So far in fact, that I often come out the other side into anti-productivity territory. (1:) I then need to refine further to become productive again. Which leads to time-sinks and more anti-productivity. So then... (go to 1:). However, my latest productivity tool of fanaticism - Obsidian - is currently helping me overcome this viscious self-gorging loop of fuckery. I'll be posting much more about Obsidian here in the future I'm sure. But the point for this post is... Ole Steensen's awesome Obsidian Digital Garden plugin is a tremendously lowest friction setup that works in parallel with my already existing / evolving note-taking / data-recording / task-managing / doing-everything tooling.
- Like that Lemming, I have ADHD and need highly-motivational and / or low-friction objectives to tap my superpowers of concentration. (Either that or... all the amphetamines. Or perhaps... an umbrella? - Lemmings fans will understand that one) The combination of this personalised / customised Obsidian setup I'm using, along with lower editorial standards for digital gardens... is liberating me from my perfectionsim tendancies and helping me to enjoy my writing (even if no one ever reads any of it). It's quite therapeutic... and all without stims!
- E.g. I really like to outline notes / information into hierarchies and bullet points like this. That's one thing Obsidian is really good at (and Logseq is even better at). So it's great I can use tools that I know already support that well, and a publishing format where it is more acceptable to use note / outline form.
So, will I stick at this thing? Will I get my backlog of unpublished nonsence published here? Will anyone read any of it?
We all know the answers to those questions (my make-believe audience) are probably no, no and no 😏 But... fuck it... I've enjoyed the journey thus far. And I've finally published some swears. Whatever. #fuck!